GSG is currently looking for candidates to fill the following positions. If any of these positions interest you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your detailed CV. We will get in touch with you to discuss your application. While we prefer to have candidates join us in the cities highlighted on each Job Description below, we have some flexibility on locations. You must already have legal status or work permit to work in the applicable country.
Director - Research and Knowledge Management
Reports to: CEO, GSG
Location: London (UK) or New Delhi (India)
The Impact Investing Movement
A paradigm shift is underway. Unique collaboration between pioneering investors, philanthropists, civil society organisations, businesses, governments and entrepreneurs is delivering new tools designed to tackle the complex, global problems we all face today. The era of impact investment has arrived.
The world faces increasing inequality and the spread of social issues worldwide, from a lack of access to basic education and healthcare to climate change and the refugee crisis. These and other challenges can be addressed by unleashing the twin powers of impact capital and social entrepreneurship, complementing the purposeful action and scale brought by global efforts such as the UN’s SDGs and COP 21.
Impact investment- investing for a measurable financial and social or environmental return- can help tackle these challenges in a way that adds up for everyone, delivering sustainable funding for service providers; financial returns and impact for investors and entrepreneurs; and, breakthrough ideas that lead to lasting improvement for the world.
GSG was established in August 2015 as the successor to the G8 Social Impact Investment Taskforce. It is incorporated as a British not for profit, dedicated to catalysing a global impact investment market. There are presently 15 member countries plus the EU, as well as active observers from government and leading network organisations supportive of impact investment. Chaired by Sir Ronald Cohen, the GSG brings together leaders from the worlds of finance, business and philanthropy across the globe. Its mission is to harness the energy behind impact investment to spark a movement around the world, so that it reaches “tipping point” by 2020.
Research and Knowledge Management at GSG
The G8 Taskforce stroked a global movement through a series of Reports, which received widespread attention. The core report “Impact Investing: The Invisible Heart of the Markets; Harnessing the power of entrepreneurship, innovation and capital for public good” examined what is needed to catalyse the global market for impact investment. It made recommendations that can be implemented across Taskforce countries and beyond to deliver better social outcomes and improve millions of lives across the world. This core report was accompanied by a series of seven supplementary Reports on Policy Levers, Asset Allocation, Measuring Impact, International Development, and, Mission Alignment.
GSG has since encouraged the network, National Advisory Boards (NABs) and NAB member organisations to share new knowledge and insights in several instances, especially at its three annual Plenary Meetings (London in 2015, Lisbon in 2016 and Chicago in 2017). GSG is now setting up a Director-level position to catalyse our knowledge development efforts done captive within GSG, within the network and with partner/network organisations. Knowledge Development products at GSG will include Research, Reports, Databases, Case Studies, Thought Leadership, Blogs, Best Practices Listing, League Tables, etc.
The role of Director-Research and Knowledge Management will be to create knowledge for enabling our global movement- “Tipping Point 2020”, with evidence and thought leadership. This will require research efforts in three modes:
- Captive Research: The candidate with develop GSG capabilities to regularly publish key statistics and information about the state of the sector by setting up reliable and ongoing data-sources, capabilities for sourcing, developing new knowledge, and shaping it into impactful content for various audiences and purposes. The candidate will also be responsible for curating and maintaining an up-to-date and user-friendly base of global resources., making it the go-to place for new and existing players in the impact investing field.
- Network Research: The candidate will coordinate several special “GSG Working Groups”, setup with experts from within the GSG network, to brainstorm, research and publish key insights, evolving trends and industry-shaping recommendations for all Impact Investing stakeholders. The Working Groups being considered for the current year include (as an illustration):
- Widening & Deepening the Impact Investing Market
- Creating Impact Investing Wholesalers (including Liberating Unclaimed Assets where possible)
- Driving greater Impact Investment adoption in International Aid & Development Banking
- Developing R&D/Innovation based Impact Enterprises
- Innovating Financial Instruments to enable effective intermediation (including SIBs, DIBs & Outcome Funds)
- Delivering evidence-based Policy Levers, Advocacy & Research
- Partner Research: Finally, the candidate will work with partners, including but not limited to Network Organizations (OECD, GIIN, etc.), Management Consulting Firms (McKinsey, BCG, Bain, etc.), Impact Consulting Firms (e.g., FSG, BridgeSpan, Palladium, Dalberg, etc.), Impact Measurement Organizations (e.g., J-PAL), Universities (e.g., Duke, Georgetown, etc.), Professional Database Companies (e.g., Bloomberg) to identify, collaborate on, co-manage, convene community and disseminate research projects.
Education and Experience Requirements
- 10+ years’ work experience, in field of Research, Knowledge Management, Learning & Development, KPO, Databases, etc.
- 3+ years’ experience in field of impact investment and/or social entrepreneurship
- Demonstrated success in working with multiple stakeholders to deliver impactful research and develop new knowledge(ideally in a fast-evolving industry)
- Ability to coordinate with and direct the work of virtual teams from across geographies (e.g.; comprised of high level experts volunteering their time)
- MBA or MPA degree preferable; BA or BS degree mandatory
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
Compensation & Terms
This is a full-time role and the job will have competitive salary based on experience and industry norms.