Chief Operating Officer
Location: UK based within reasonable reach of London
Hours: 3 days per week FTE
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
A critical leadership function within GSG, the COO has overall strategic responsibility for our financial management, planning, governance, legal and human resources functions. This includes supporting the development of strategy, long term financial forecasts and commercial opportunities as part of a high performing team.
The post holder will ensure that processes, policies and infrastructure are in place to deliver GSG’s ambitions to drive global impact that improves lives and the planet by innovating, agitating and orchestrating the advance towards impact economies.
- As part of the leadership team, contribute to the development and delivery of the Global Steering Group’s mission, strategy and operational plans, as well as contributing to future growth and impact
- Ensure regular review and evaluation, developing and implementing all necessary policies and procedures to facilitate management control and to ensure that all internal operations achieve their business objectives
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and development and a commitment to quality
- Embed an inclusive culture and promote diversity in all of GSG’s activities globally.
- Provide high quality financial analysis and information to the CEO and Board to ensure informed decision making and business planning
- Oversee financial planning and reporting, including forecasts, budgets, management accounts and annual reports
- Management of GSG’s Trading Subsidiary
- Oversight of all aspects of governance matters including Board meetings and reports, papers, risk register, Trustee appointments and retirements, conflicts, decision-making powers and member resolutions
- Ensure compliance with charity and company legislation, including SORP, and advise the CEO and Board on statutory requirements
- Regular review and evaluation, developing and implementing all necessary policies and procedures to facilitate management control and to ensure that all internal operations achieve their business objectives
Legal & HR
Human resources leadership, including:
- 11 UK based staff
- The relationship with Papaya, the provider of Employer of Record services for members of staff globally
- The relationship with the Argentina based company providing policy support (3 staff)
- Ongoing monitoring of all company policies and their adoption and requisite training requirements
- Production and/or review of all third-party contracts including regular and one-off suppliers, donors and staff
Key Skills and Experience
- A recognised professional financial or business qualification, with a proven track record of successful international financial management
- Experience of operating strategically as a senior leader in an organisation of significant complexity
- Demonstrable experience of leading business functions including finance and HR
- Personal credibility, the cultural fluency and communications skills required to establish professional relationships quickly with a range of stakeholders globally
- Highly developed financial and analytical skills, combined with a strong commercial acumen
- A collaborative approach, combined with intellectual rigour and the ability to navigate ambiguity
How to Apply / Contact
- To apply for this position, please upload a CV and a supporting statement of no more than two pages of A4 onto our website.
- We ask that you complete the equal opportunities information online when you submit your application via our website. The information collected will be treated as confidential, used for statistical purposes only, and will not be treated as part of your application.
- Finally please ensure that you have included mobile, work and home telephone numbers, as well as any dates when you will not be available or might have difficulty with the indicative timetable.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 21st April
Initial Interviews With Prospectus: 26th April – 5th May
GSG Panel Interviews: Week commencing 17th May
These dates may be subject to change and applicants will be advised in advance should this happen.
Should you decide to make a formal application, you will receive feedback within seven working days of the closing date.
If you have any queries on any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information or would like to have an informal discussion, please contact Alex Williams at Prospectus on 020 7691 1920, or email: email@example.com